Monday, August 6, 2012

Post Stockton Con!


Sunday was a resounding success at Stockton Con! I was honestly not expecting to get much out of it or have to put much into it and I almost didn't go because this weekend was full of stuff, late nights, friends, family, organizing things, getting work done, etc. But I am SO glad I went and did all I could and I look forward to the next one. Mike Millerick (see a brief news interview of Mike and coverage of the convention here) put on a comic convention to raise funds for United Way, and apparently Stockton was where a con was really needed!

All the people I met were so friendly, outgoing, interested, looking for their own avenues of creativity and in general just soaking up the all fun that comes from a con. I met some very talented youngsters, one 13 year-old put me to shame with her sequential art. She showed great promise in her characters, line work, draping, motion, emotion and even colors. I met another guy who had gone to school for art and gaming and was in the process of making his own game in order to learn the process and perhaps break into the industry that way. The BEST way to do it, if I may say so myself! He even made a surprise gift of a drawing he did, right there at on the con floor, of me drawing! Thanks Jacob!


We also met with a guy looking to do more smaller, night life type of events to raise money for an organization called ARTicipation. I donated my Mucha print and hope to get in invite to one of these evening draw-fests in the future!


I'd be interested to know how much got raised and what the plans are for next year! I love the fact that I got to be a part of the very first comic convention in Stockton. Now my booth mates and I just need to get our business cards done. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment