Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A Warm Up Sketch... for bed.

For this session of the comic book club we read Blacksad: A Silent Hell.



The art was stunning as usual but somehow I felt the story lacked something that the stories before it had. There seemed to be less mystery, a less convincing and cohesive story. But still it was a joy to read just because there is nothing out there like it, at least not that I know of just yet. The whole time and feel of the noir in a comic is unique for me but I have discovered that it is really enjoyable if well told, well drawn and there is enough emotion that gets across.



Seeing as how I bought and finished the book on the Friday before the comic book club meeting I did not exactly leave myself too much time to really draw a piece of fan art deserving of comparison to Juano Guarnido's art. Instead, at midnight on Sunday just as I was going to bed (actually I was IN bed) I drew something I'd rather call a warm up sketch since I feel like I have not been drawing much and the need is upon me. I wanted to draw something based on the most striking panel of the book (IMHO) which occurs on the first page. It is of an unknown character in a huge and intimidating ram's skull with a swirling red cape all about "him". Then I felt it was really empty and not as powerful looking as I had originally thought and wanted to add something the the dead space around the character. Sadly, I did not have the energy nor was I warmed up enough to do a background. Instead I lazily threw in some head-shots of the main characters. It felt good to draw, but I was a bit disappointed waking up to the result. Oh well, something is done, something is drawn and one must just keep going. Here's to hoping for more art this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment