Friday, June 8, 2012

Sword & Sworcery

I haven't had or allowed myself much free time lately (the lonely brain can be poisonous!) so when I get a couple panels done for my side contract work (and if it isn't 2am by then) I reward myself with a little gaming. I have no TV and no access to a Playstaion/Wii anymore so I take what I can get. And recently I got something kind of awesome and fun.  It's called Sword and Sworcery which for some reason they refer to it as: s:s&s ep. Bonus points: I can even play it on my Mac!

What has it got going for it, you ask?

I'll tell you.

It has, and I mean this in most complimentary way possible, simplified graphics. Nowadays the world is completely filled with all kinds of constant motion, intense sounds, incredible and not-so-incredible smells, non-stop people, an unbelievable amount of responsibilities, choices, and so on and so on... everyday... all day. Then there is also the fact that games or gaming companies are always trying to out-do themselves, from polygon count to lighting effects, to animation, to interactivity, to effects, to action, to control... and the list goes on. It seems like something important is lost when "striving for the cutting edge" is always the focus. With the constant ramping up of everything, it's nice to play a game that doesn't reflect the chaotic state my mind is normally forced to be in. Besides having simple yet effective visuals this game also has relaxing and top-notch music by maestro Jim Guthrie, creative wee characters and a funky little story that may even make you chuckle a bit - if only on the inside. I may be only 35% of the way through it but this is the first time... ever that I am actually savoring a game. So much so that I did a little fan art. It's easy to put your own spin on a character when they look like they are made out of the tiniest Lego blocks.

So, check it out, see what you think and relax.

Oh yeah, the main character is female. WHOOT!
I may watercolor this. But I'm not holding myself to much lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment